Aroland First Nation is located in Northern Ontario approximately 350 km northeast of Thunder Bay, 90 km north of Geraldton (Greenstone) and 25 km west of Nakina. Aroland First Nation’s members are former members of the Long Lake 58 First Nation, Long Lac 77 First Nation (now Ginoogaming First Nation), Fort Hope First Nation (now Eabametoong First Nation), Marten Falls First Nation, and Fort William First Nation. In 1972, the settlement briefly was recorded as Aroland 83 Indian Reserve.
Tribal Name: Aroland First Nation
Address: P.O. Box 10, Aroland ON P0T 1B0
Band No. 242
Aboriginal Status: Status Band. The Aroland First Nation gained status under the Indian Act on April 15, 1985. They are a Section 10 Band.
Tribal Affiliation: Ojibway
Location: Reserve lands have recently been dedicated to the First Nation by both Provincial and Federal governments. Reserve lands would extend northwards from Highway #643 to encompass lands along the western and northern shores of Esnagami Lake.
Size: 19, 599 hectares (79.0 square miles)
At present, these lands are generally undeveloped with the exception of a single small community straddling on Highway #643 near the reserve’s southern boundary.
Treaties: Treaty #9 – The James Bay Treaty
Language: Ojibway is the dialect spoken within the community of Aroland.
Johnny Therriault Memorial School has a Principal and staff of 8 teaching Kindergarten – Grade 8. This 1,760 square-meter facility can accommodate up to 120 students and has a full gymnasium.
Aroland First Nation High School Students are bused to Geraldton to attend High School.
Medical emergency response/ ambulance services are provided by the township of Nakina (approx. 22km from Alroland). In the event that Nakina is unable to provide assistance, the township of Geraldton (approx.80km from Aroland) provides ambulance services.
Aroland First Nation has a traditional burial grounds on the shores of Kawashkagama Lake and an historic portage route between Wawong Lake and Kawashkagama River. A historical campsite is also located at the southern end of the portage.
Historically, the original people of the Aroland Fist Nation were mainly members of the Ginoogaming (Long Lake # 77), Long Lake # 58, Eabametoong (Fort Hope), or Fort William who settled on the Kowashkagama River to the south of the existing village.
The settlement occurred circa 1900 when residents were engaged in fur trading with the Hudson’s Bay Company. As the fur trade declined, native residents began working with the Arrow Land and Logging Company whose milling operations was located between the river and today’s Canadian National Railway Lin (CNR).
Closure of the lumber mill in 1941 was followed by gradual northward movement of the community to its current location on Highway #643.
People of Note:
In the News: