The Nunavut Villages are primarily Inuit first peoples.
Nunavut is the newest territory of Canada and makes up a major portion of Northern Canada, and most of the Canadian Arctic Archipelago.
It also includes Ellesmere Island to the far north, as well as the eastern and southern portions of Victoria Island in the west and Akimiski Island in James Bay to the far south.
Nunavut Territory includes part of the mainland, most of the Arctic Archipelago, and all of the islands in Hudson Bay, James Bay, and Ungava Bay (including the Belcher Islands), which previously belonged to the Northwest Territories until 2005.
Nunavut is home to the northernmost permanently inhabited place in the world. It has a population of 31,906 mostly Inuit people (as of the 2006 census), spread over a land area the size of Western Europe.
Most historians identify the coast of Baffin Island with the Helluland described in Norse sagas, so it is possible that the inhabitants of the region had occasional contact with Norse sailors.
Archeologists think the indigenous population has been there for at least 4,000 years, oral traditions say much longer.
Along with the Inuit language (Inuktitut and Inuinnaqtun), English and French are also official languages. In the 2006 census it was reported that 2,305 people (7.86%) living in Nunavut had no knowledge of either official languages of Canada.
- Arctic Bay (Ikpiarjuk ᐃᒃᐱᐊᕐᔪᒃ)
- Arviat (ᐊᕐᕕᐊᑦ, formerly Eskimo Point)
- Baker Lake (Qamanittuaq ᖃᒪᓂᑦᑐᐊᖅ)
- Bathurst Inlet (Kingoak)
- Cambridge Bay (Iqaluktuuttiaq ᐃᖃᓗᒃᑑᑦᑎᐊᖅ)
- Cape Dorset (Kinngait ᑭᙵᐃᑦ)d
- Chesterfield Inlet (Igluligaarjuk ᐃᒡᓗᓕᒑᕐᔪᒃ)
- Clyde River (Kangiqtugaapik ᑲᖏᖅᑐᒑᐱᒃ)
- Coral Harbour (Salliit ᓴᓪᓖᑦ)
- Gjoa Haven (Uqsuqtuuq ᐅᖅᓱᖅᑑᖅ)
- Grise Fiord (Aujuittuq ᐊᐅᔪᐃᑦᑐᖅ)
- Hall Beach (Sanirajak ᓴᓂᕋᔭᒃ)
- Igloolik (Iglulik ᐃᒡᓗᓕᒃ)
- Iqaluit (territorial capital) (ᐃᖃᓗᐃᑦ, formerly Frobisher Bay)
- Kimmirut (formerly Lake Harbour)
- Kugaaruk (formerly Pelly Bay)
- Kugluktuk (Qurluqtuq ᖁᕐᓗᖅᑐᖅ, formerly Coppermine)
- Pangnirtung (Pangniqtuuq ᐸᖕᓂᖅᑑᖅ)
- Pond Inlet (Mittimatalik ᒥᑦᑎᒪᑕᓕᒃ)
- Qikiqtarjuaq (ᕿᑭᖅᑕᕐᔪᐊᖅ, formerly Broughton Island)
- Rankin Inlet (Kangiqiniq ᑲᖏᕿᓂᖅ or Kangirliniq ᑲᖏᖅᖠᓂᖅ)
- Repulse Bay (Naujaat ᓇᐅᔮᑦ)
- Resolute (Qausuittuq ᖃᐅᓱᐃᑦᑐᖅ)
- Sanikiluaq, (ᓴᓂᑭᓗᐊᖅ)
- Taloyoak (Talurjuaq, formerly Spence Bay)
- Umingmaktok (Umingmaktuuq ᐅᒥᖕᒪᒃᑑᖅ, formerly Bay Chimo)
- Whale Cove (Tikirarjuaq ᑎᑭᕋᕐᔪᐊᖅ)